Nicola Bulley’s partner’s final text on the morning she went missing: ‘Have you got lost?’


The partner of Nicola Bulley texted her, “Have you got lost?” on the morning she went missing, her inquest has heard.
After carrying out the school run, the 45-year-old mother-of-two disappeared on January 27 while walking her dog along the River Wyre in St Michael’s on Wyre, Lancashire.
Her disappearance sparked a massive police search before her body was found on February 19 by walkers.
On Tuesday, an inquest concluded that she drowned after accidentally falling into cold water.
Dr James Adeley, senior coroner for Lancashire, concluding the inquest into her death at County Hall, Preston, recorded her death as accidental as she fell into the river and suffered “cold water shock”, ruling out suicide.
On Tuesday, Paul Ansell, her partner of 12 years, broke down in tears while giving evidence at her inquest, saying she was an “incredible mum”.
The inquest heard that on the morning she went missing, Mr Ansell sent her a text saying: “Have you got lost?”
When found on a bench overlooking the water, Ms Bulley’s mobile phone was still connected to a work Teams call.
“She was still listening to that meeting, so I think she must have maybe put the phone on the bench and gone to put the harness back on Willow,” he said.

Nicola Bulley’s Partner’s Last Text

The lawyer representing Ms Bulley’s family, Sophie Cartwright KC, told the inquest that the evidence pointed to her accidentally going into the River Wyre and drowning quickly in the cold water.
The father of Nicola Bulley’s two children sobbed during an inquest into her death, where he revealed the last text he sent her before realising she was missing.
Paul Ansell sent his partner a message asking, “Are you lost?” when she disappeared. Nicola was last seen on January 27, sparking a massive search, before her body was tragically found weeks later in the water of the River Wyre.
Medical experts, police officers and a Home Office pathologist have revealed how Nicola died, giving evidence at the inquest, which began on Monday at County Hall, Preston.
The mum had a meeting at 11 am on the day she disappeared. She would usually return home around 10 am from her morning walk.

Mr Ansell sobbed as he told the inquest that he sent her a text message on the morning of January 27, asking: “Have you got lost?”
He told the inquest he became concerned when it got to 10.30 am, and he had heard nothing. He described his partner as “full of beans” in the days leading up to her death.
“She had a good day the day before [she went missing], came home full of beans, excited with work, her meetings and plans for the year.
“She was grateful for every day; she was an amazing mum and partner, giving her huge security. She focused on the important things and did the right thing for everyone. She was well-respected by all who knew her. Everybody loved her.”

Analyzing the Last Words Before She Vanished

Mr Ansell believes Nicola was harnessing the family’s pet dog Willow when she entered the water, explaining why her phone was not in her pocket or on her person.
He said: “She was still listening to that meeting, so I think she must have maybe put the phone on the bench and gone to put the harness back on Willow.”
When he broke down again in tears, Mr Ansell has led away from the inquiry. On Monday, a timeline of Nicola’s whereabouts on the day she vanished was presented to those in attendance.
A friend of Nicola’s called Lucy recalled the last texts the pair exchanged. The waitress had been arranging a playdate between their daughters. She said: “I said my daughter would love to come and play.” An inquest into the death of Nicola Bulley on Tuesday (June 27) has revealed the heartbreaking text her partner sent her on the morning she disappeared – sparking a massive three-week search.

Unraveling the Meaning of ‘Have You Got Lost

The 45-year-old disappeared after dropping off her six and nine daughters at school and taking her dog for a walk along the River Wyre in Lancashire on January 27. Her phone was found later that day on a bench by the river, still on a work call, and the dog was running free.
After 24 days, dog walkers found her body about a mile away in the river.
The inquest into Nicola’s death began Monday, and it heard that she drowned. Home Office pathologist Dr Alison Armour said watery fluid and dirt fragments found inside Nicola’s body were “typical features” seen in “drowning cases”.
And on Tuesday, senior coroner James Adeley concluded that Nicola fell into the river and drowned, recording a verdict of accidental death.
There was no evidence of alcohol in her bloodstream or the involvement of any third party in causing her harm.

About the author

Olivia Wilson
By Olivia Wilson


Get in touch

Content and images available on this website is supplied by contributors. As such we do not hold or accept liability for the content, views or references used. For any complaints please contact Use of this website signifies your agreement to our terms of use. We do our best to ensure that all information on the Website is accurate. If you find any inaccurate information on the Website please us know by sending an email to and we will correct it, where we agree, as soon as practicable. We do not accept liability for any user-generated or user submitted content – if there are any copyright violations please notify us at – any media used will be removed providing proof of content ownership can be provided. For any DMCA requests under the digital millennium copyright act
Please contact: with the subject DMCA Request.